Monday, March 08, 2010

Song of the Day - Yours

Oh, hi. Remember me? I'm still alive - working, playing, and obsessing over music, politics, and unattainable men, in no particular order.

Here is your damn song of the day/week/month. One member of this duo (known as Yours) slept on the floor of my living room along with the rest of the band known as Oh Captain, My Captain not too long ago. This is another project of his that I have to say is pretty incredible. And you should know I am such an unabashed music snob that I would never endorse a band I didn't find to be incredible, even if I knew the guys. In fact, I once dated a guy who was perfect on paper but his band was such shit that I just couldn't bring myself to date him anymore. I mean, seriously - if your band is such a monstrosity and you can't recognize it, then what hope could we possibly have for a future together? Unless I am - God forbid - stricken deaf someday, then your shitty band will be an absolute dealbreaker.

Anyway, without further ado, here you have the amazing Yours, from the city that still holds my heart, my beloved Portland:

2 comments:

chococatania said...

So, this song is awesome, and I'm getting more and more stoked for the cd.

A few other things.
1. Yes, I agree...I've had to break up with people because of their taste in music. I once dated this guy - as you said "perfect on paper." Plus he was obsessed with me, which is usually the surest way to my heart. Then one day, his cell phone rings, and it is, a song by Christina Aguilera...(I am beautiful...)I started to get worried.

He changed his ring-tone to "I'm never gonna dance again, careless feet(?) have got no rhthym." ... It would have been rad if it was like a joke or something. But that was the best of his music selection!

I checked out his ipod - and saw all I needed - Mariah Carey. It was over.

2. I'm grateful for your unabashed music snobbery. Have you read Songbook by Nick Hornby? I may have to send it your way...

Amanda said...

Hahaha...that's hilarious and tragic at the same time. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has abandoned a perfectly good man on the grounds of his horrendous taste in music. It's one thing to have a few guilty pleasures but if a guy turns to me when a Toni Braxton song comes on and says in all seriousness, "Oh, I love this song!" - well, I'm afraid we're just not going to work out. (That's a true story, by the way.)

Yeah, I actually own 31 songs, which is the UK version of that Nick Hornby book. (I had to Google it to make sure it was the same thing.) I love it and I LOVE that you do too. I need to read it again, actually.

Your mix has evolved into three. This is getting a little out of hand....