Saturday, June 14, 2008

Thoughts for the Week

1) Sometimes it's better to just SHUT THE HELL UP.

2) I think that everybody, every now and then, needs to know that they're doing ok. We all bust our butts in different ways on a daily basis, and sometimes you really need someone to pull you aside and tell you how great you are. Not even great, actually - just...fine.

3) Comfort zones are highly underrated.

4) One of the most frustrating things to me in life is trying to translate my thoughts into spoken words. It will make perfect sense in my mind, then I'll speak, and I'll sound like something between Dr. Seuss and Yoda. This kills me.

5) Kerouac said that life is a "great, strange dream." With that in mind, I sometimes want to do something crazy just to test whether I really am here or if I'm just dreaming. Just to see what would happen. Like tear down the street with no clothes on, or go onto the Muni when everyone is quiet and avoiding eye contact, and just scream, or start dancing and singing. In San Fran, it's fairly common to see someone standing on a street corner, shouting out to those who are streaming past with their heads down. You know the guy I'm talking about - the one who everyone tries to ignore as he's either belting out a Stevie Wonder song at the top of his lungs, or calling out to specific individuals and laughing loudly at his own jokes. I think to myself that that guy has slipped away from what the rest of us would call "reality" and lives in his own. Yeah, that guy has probably gone completely mad, but I'm willing to believe that in some respects he's probably a helluva lot happier than a lot of us.

6) “People are afraid of themselves, of their own reality; their feelings most of all. People talk about how great love is, but that's bullshit. Love hurts. Feelings are disturbing. People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they're afraid to feel? Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain.” - Jim Morrison

7) What a difference a day makes.

No comments: